(Photo Credit: Baipai Cooking School, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010)
We're off to Thailand today, departing around noon for a 24-hour flight to the Land of Smiles.
This will be our first time in Bangkok in ages, and we're looking forward to seeing old friends, visiting some of our old haunts, and going on some new adventures. On the list for this year:
- A return to the Baipai Cooking School, where we'll shop for ingredients at a local market before cooking up our own pad thai, cashew chicken, and sticky rice with veggies.
- A private foodie tour of our neighborhood (designed to introduce us to those "hole in the wall" eateries that only locals know about) and an evening "strolling dinner" in Chinatown. (Hey! Maybe we'll get to try frog fallopian tubes, like they ate on Amazing Race last week!)
- A shopping day at Chatuchak Market, the world's largest flea market (where, believe me, you can buy *anything*)
- Our first trip to Koh Kred, a sleepy island in the Chao Praya River, where locals have been making red clay pottery for ages.
- Long, leisurely Thai massages from the Healthland Spa. Maybe more than once a day!
And a lot more -- including a possible trip out to the Thai Army base for target practice with a variety of hand guns and semi-automatic weapons. (I'm not kidding.)
As always, you're invited to tag along! I'll be posting about the trip right here, and always welcome your comments, ideas, and friendly greetings!